In 1977, British born long-distance walker George Meegan set off from the very tip of South America and did not stop until he reached the top of Alaska seven years later. An impressive feat, which landed him with a Guinness World Record. Since then he has gone on to try and save the native languages of Alaska, help children achieve there "true potential" and tackle climate change.
The problem I have with George Meegan is the fact that some of his statements are truly bizarre; "Every car is a mobile poison gas machine, such as used by the NAZI extermination squads, pre-concentration camps." No wonder he walks everywhere.
After learning a bit more about Meegan, I felt reassured. A generally well-respected individual turns out to be a tad odd. His most recent adventure is to run for Parliament with a few of his buddies down at Gillingham rugby club. Righto. Like many other late teens I know, the feeling of pressure to live a 'successful' life is sometimes overwhelming. A few months ago, I was turned down at an interview for a bank as I didn't know what I would be doing in two years time (Before results, Uni offers, decisions made). This pissed me off. But after much thought I came to the conclusion that No, right now I don't know where I'm heading, however I'm sure as hell going to get there.

No comments:
Post a Comment